As technology advances, email marketing has become a cost-effective strategy that businesses often use to target a desired audience. But, not all email marketing campaigns succeed in attracting and engaging recipients. When an email is sent out, it may be ignored, or recipients may merely open it without paying attention to the content. Open and click-through rates are a straight-forward way to measure your campaign’s effectiveness. Here are some tactics that you can use to increase these numbers.
Customize your communication with customers.
An increase in open rates and higher click through rates are the top two benefits of personalized emails. Emails with personalized subject lines are 17% more likely to be opened and 30% more likely to be clicked. These numbers could translate into hundreds or thousands of customers. To provide highly targeted marketing content, use data that segments your customers based on a variety of attributes: demographics, sign-up date, geographic location, interests, industry, purchase behaviors, browsing history, and more. As long as you have the groups identified, you can approach each of them by incorporating relevant information and images in your emails. Since what they see resonates with their needs, they are more likely to open and click through.
Elicit emotions with your email subject lines.
Thirty-five percent of marketing emails are opened based solely on the subject line. Is there an effective way to draw recipients in? Yes, emotional appeal plays a role.
- Generate readers’ curiosity with an interesting subject line. Storytelling, cliffhangers, open-ended questions, and intriguing introductions can do this. Have your audience open your email to find out the answer.
- Create a sense of urgency to prompt readers to take immediate action. Commonly used triggers include time, calendar events, location, and negative outcomes due to lack of action. For example, you can emphasize the time sensitivity of your promos. Out of the “fear of missing out” on something, readers are more likely to open your email.
- Tap into positive emotions, such as excitement and joy. You can use teasers, calls to action, and exclusive offers to captivate readers.
- Express gratitude in email subject lines if appropriate. Research found that this technique increased unique open and click rates by 38% and 69%, respectively. It works well for survey emails, post-purchase emails, and segmented buyer promotional emails.
Keep your email subject lines concise.
You have much to say, but don’t forget to cut your email subject lines short. Many people check emails on mobile devices today, so it is critical to condense your messages so that they can appear in the right way. In particular, you can practice these two techniques.
- Use emojis and symbols in email subject lines. According to Experian, 56% of brands using emojis in their email subject lines had a higher unique open rate. Visually appealing elements not only save space but help your message cut through the clutter.
- Avoid terms that might trigger spam filters. Sixty-nine percent of people report emails as spam based on the subject line. Those that sound inappropriate can ruin your effectiveness, even if the content is valuable. Instead, incorporate words that convey a positive and natural feeling to audience.
Send your emails at the best moment.
Before you implement an email marketing campaign, you should analyze your audience’s behaviors and preferences to determine the optimal day and time. Remember, audiences are the people you should be following. You can run multiple A/B tests to keep track of the best times to send your emails.
Effective tactics focus on customer experience rather than on how businesses sell their products or services. As a result, customers are willing to respond favorably to your communication. If you want to revitalize your email marketing campaigns, try these tips today and take your business to the next level.
Creative Spot is a full-service marketing and advertising agency in Columbus, Ohio. If you would like to learn more about how we can help your organization with strategic marketing, please contact us.